NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FALL 2021 UNIDAS GRANT!
Under the auspices of the Women’s Foundation for the State of Arizona, Unidas participants have researched and analyzed the social justice issues facing women, girls, and gender-expansive folks in our community. Participants have created this request for proposal, and will conduct the application review, site visits, and will select one organization to receive a grant of $5,000 for their grant focus area. If you’re at all familiar with Unidas, you know the young philanthropists in the program take on big issues. Through discussion, presentations, and lots of thoughtful consideration, they prioritize an area of concern or community that they strongly feel needs to be supported.
Mission and Funding Criteria:
Unidas will invest $5000 in one organization that does work regarding the overall health and wellbeing (Physical, emotional, social, intellectual, and spiritual) of black, indigenous, women or gender-expansive folks of color.
• Programs must serve communities in Southern Arizona.
• Applications are not accepted from individuals, sports teams, political or lobbying organizations, organizations that discriminate, or religious organizations formed for sectarian purposes.
• Applicants must be in good standing as 501(c)(3) organizations.
• Grant requests will not be considered for auctions or fundraising events, debt reduction, endowment funds, capital campaigns, litigation or legal expenses, productions, or performances.
Unidas values programs and organizations that:
• Exhibit a meaningful need for the financial support provided through the grant.
• Improve the quality of life for women, girls, and gender-expansive folks.
• Address the causes of problems, as well as provide solutions.
• Encourage broad-based community involvement.
• Have programs that may be replicated.
• Have a long-term perspective.
• Have demonstrated successful outcomes or are willing to evaluate the effectiveness of their programs.
• Collaborate to improve efficiency or effectiveness.
Grant application timeline
Nov 18 at noon (Deadline extended): Grant application closes
Nov 18: Grant applications are reviewed
Nov 18th-Dec 2nd: Finalists are selected for interviews/site visits
Dec 8: Grantee announced
1. To apply, you will need to create an account with Common Grant.
2. Then, search “Women’s Foundation of Southern Arizona,” (our former org name) in the Grantmakers search bar.
3. Click the blue button to the right that says “select program.”
4. You will then be taken to a page with our open grants, scroll down to “Unidas Grant,” and select “Start Draft App,” to be taken to the application.
For more information:
Please contact Brigette Villasenor – BVillasenor@womengiving.org 520.867.8932 or
Desiree Maultsby – firstname.lastname@example.org, 520.838.0311
Unidas is a semester-long after-school program for young women and gender-expansive individuals in high school from Southern Arizona. The program is focused on philanthropy, leadership, social justice, and grant-making.
What Does Unidas Do?
Our Unidas cohorts meet once a week via Zoom. Over the course of each semester, participants get to create a grant with a specific social justice topic for Non-Profits in Southern Arizona to apply for. Unidas participants will then get to review applications, interview potential organizations, and finally choose a grantee. Meanwhile, we connect and create community with each other, practice self-care, learn about and discuss social justice topics, and practice professional development to support participants in their future endeavors.