Thank you for exploring career opportunities with the Women’s Foundation of Southern Arizona. We currently have one open position:
Title: VP of External Affairs
Reports to: CEO
Job Status: Full-time, salaried, exempt
About the Women’s Foundation:
The Women’s Foundation of Southern Arizona was founded in 1991 on the principle that when women
thrive, the whole community benefits. Since its inception, WFSA has invested more than $5 million in
organizations that create change that empowers women and girls.
WFSA collaborates to achieve social, political and economic change that empowers women and girls.
Through research, advocacy, grant making and leadership development, we now lead the region in
philanthropic investments focused on women and girls, reaching 15,000 women and children annually.
Recognizing that funding direct service interventions alone will not achieve systems change, four years
ago, after intensive, participatory strategic planning and visioning, WFSA shifted, concretely, to advocacy and public policy, going upstream to influence systems change at the state level.
Position General Summary
This position is responsible for stewarding WFSA’s brand, developing and executing a strategic
communications and marketing plan, managing public affairs, overseeing all media-related activities
and serve as public policy liaison under the CEO.
Branding & Marketing
• In conjunction with the CEO and Board, define WFSA’s brand and develop strategy to increase
the awareness of WFSA’s mission, vision and values.
• Create and implement branding and marketing guide.
• Identify and develop target media and policy contacts to raise awareness of our work and
expertise in priority areas.
• Design and execute events that deepen the relationship between WFSA and our stakeholders.
Communications & Public Relations
• Institutionalize a communications plan that will result in the organization’s leadership to
cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external stakeholders,
• Coordinate, write and produce internal and external communications, including but not limited
to press releases, email and social media communications, website, invitations, organizational
statements, award nominations and other communications upon the request of the executive
• Support the WFSA staff in public relations efforts, including seeking new speaking and media
• Establish and maintain relationships with WFSA’s stakeholders, including state representatives,
non-profit partners, national foundations, donors and volunteers.
• Coach staff and Board of Trustees in effective communication with the general public.
• Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization, working with leadership team
and staff to recognize external communication opportunities and solutions, and execute
appropriate strategies to support them.
• Ensure quality control of all released information.
• Update and maintain website and social media platforms.
Public Policy Liaison
In conjunction with the CEO:
• Conduct outreach to partners, allies and potential volunteers to develop and build a
comprehensive local and statewide advocacy program.
• Develop a public policy and legislative agenda and a strategic advocacy plan to implement that
• Act as a liaison for the organization, interacting with elected officials and staff, community
organizations, businesses, government agencies, foundations and civic leaders. Represent the
organization at meetings, briefings, events and other policy venues.
• Track all relevant legislation as well as priorities and interests related to women and girls in
• Monitor and respond to legislative, regulatory and other policy developments.
• Work with appropriate partner organizations, coalitions, and other stakeholders to advance
WFSA’s priorities and interests.
• Recruit volunteers to participate in WFSA’s annual Advocacy Day and to help volunteers
advocate before policymakers.
• We seek individuals who enjoy working in a collaborative, high-volume and energetic work
environment and who are flexible team players with a sense of humor.
• B.A. or B.S. degree preferred with minimum of 5 years of experience in communications and/or
• Demonstrated experience in developing and managing a comprehensive strategic communications
• Strong vision and desire for personal growth, strong self-motivator.
• Must have outstanding communication and writing skills and ability to effectively engage with
management, Board, media, and external stakeholders.
• Must be a tactical and strategic thinker.
• Must be able to juggle multiple tasks, show initiative and problem solve creatively.
• Must be highly organized with a strong attention to detail and be able to complete tasks
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive benefits package, including medical
and dental coverage, eligibility for an employer matching retirement plan and generous paid time off.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. To apply, please email a letter of interest,
resume, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. WFSA strongly encourages people of color,
LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of under-represented communities to apply.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.